Re: GTK upgrade and troubles

--- tkalfaoglu <turgut kalfaoglu com> wrote:

> Hi there. In order to compile the latest GAIM (beta 4) I had to upgrade gtk,
> glib, pango, and the gtk-related tools on my Mandriva 2006. For this, I
> removed the RPM's for these, and installed the tools after compiling them
> from scratch. All went well, and I was able to compile and use gaim
> afterwards.
> However, now odd things happen. I get the following message:
> (gimp:32654): Pango-WARNING **: shape engine failure, expect ugly output.
> the offending font is 'DejaVu Sans 10'
> and I get no text within gimp afterwards -- I get all the icons, but no text
> in the pull down menus!
> Likewise, tools like Mandriva Control Center (mcc) die with a
> Can't locate object method "signal_connect" via package "Gtk2::Window" at
> /usr/sbin/drakconf.real line 98.
> message.
> Any ideas how I should proceed. I think I also tried "urpmi dejavu" and it
> said it was installed.
> Many thanks, -turgut
> --
> gtk-list gnome org

In case you are still interested - I have just added gaim-2.0.0beta5 to the list of targets
built by my tool - see signature.

So, you can try the following steps:

1) revert your system to its original state;
2) try my tool, you'll basically need to run just one command line like this:

~/AppsFromScratch/20061104/bin/ -targets_to_build gaim -make_like 1>build.log 2 >&1 &

- this is not yet released version, I can send it to you if you're interested.

My tool downloads sources from the net and builds and installs apps/libs locally, not
requiring root permission, so integrity of your system is preserved.

The dependencies are built as needed automatically.

Applications From Scratch:

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.