Re: QT vs GTK 2006

	My 2 cents on the questions I have an opinion about.

Martin Olsson wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm currently evaluating (GUI) toolkits, and I'm interested in the
differences between QT and GTK. My code is going to be GPLed and I need it
to be cross-platform. I've read a few previous threads from this list
concerning this subject so I know all the basic stuff, but atleast some of
the arguments I came across seems to be void these days. I have some
questions:

1. Is the win32 version of GTK really that unstable? It's homepage still
(as of today) contain a rather scary warning sign.

I've been using it for a while (over a year) compiling against the 2.6.9 release and it's been fine.

2. Name some successful (in terms of many users, well-known) GTK-based
projects outside of the GNOME sphere? For instance QT has Opera and Adobe
Elements, in heavy use, outside of KDE.

3. I guess there is a whole lot of people on list this that are using
multiple toolkits, but for those who prefer GTK over other toolkits: What
are your personal motivations for using GTK instead of something else?

I wanted to use GTK instead of QT because I had already written a program that I wanted to add the interface to, and it was written in C, not C++. I am a C programmer to, not C++.

Also, the Windows port of QT is not free to use (or wasn't over a year ago.. I don't know - I don't keep up on Qt) and I wanted (and now have) my program able to be run on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

So, GTK does what I need it to do.

	Derek

--
Derek Piper - dcpiper indiana edu - (812) 856 0111
IRI 323, School of Informatics