Re: QT vs GTK 2006

On 3/6/06, Martin Olsson <mnemo minimum se> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I'm currently evaluating (GUI) toolkits, and I'm interested in the
> differences between QT and GTK. My code is going to be GPLed and I need it
> to be cross-platform. I've read a few previous threads from this list
> concerning this subject so I know all the basic stuff, but atleast some of
> the arguments I came across seems to be void these days. I have some
> questions:
> 1. Is the win32 version of GTK really that unstable? It's homepage still
> (as of today) contain a rather scary warning sign.

I have not actually used the win32 port myself, but I'm sure it is pretty stable
and works well.

> 2. Name some successful (in terms of many users, well-known) GTK-based
> projects outside of the GNOME sphere? For instance QT has Opera and Adobe
> Elements, in heavy use, outside of KDE.

You can look at for some examples, or for
more recent stories, look at the Maemo platform done by Nokia, or
the things done by vmware, to name a few.

> 6. Does GTK support per-application skins/themes?

An application can have its own gtkrc file, which allows you to tweak themes
in whatever way you want.