Re: QT vs GTK 2006

On 3/6/06, Martin Olsson <mnemo minimum se> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm currently evaluating (GUI) toolkits, and I'm interested in the
> differences between QT and GTK. My code is going to be GPLed and I need it
> to be cross-platform. I've read a few previous threads from this list
> concerning this subject so I know all the basic stuff, but atleast some of
> the arguments I came across seems to be void these days. I have some
> questions:
>
> 1. Is the win32 version of GTK really that unstable? It's homepage still
> (as of today) contain a rather scary warning sign.

I have not actually used the win32 port myself, but I'm sure it is pretty stable
and works well.

> 2. Name some successful (in terms of many users, well-known) GTK-based
> projects outside of the GNOME sphere? For instance QT has Opera and Adobe
> Elements, in heavy use, outside of KDE.

You can look at http://www.gtk.org/success for some examples, or for
more recent stories, look at the Maemo platform done by Nokia, or
the things done by vmware, to name a few.

> 6. Does GTK support per-application skins/themes?

An application can have its own gtkrc file, which allows you to tweak themes
in whatever way you want.

Matthias