Re: QT vs GTK 2006

2006/3/6, Martin Olsson <mnemo minimum se>:
Hi folks,

I'm currently evaluating (GUI) toolkits, and I'm interested in the
differences between QT and GTK. My code is going to be GPLed and I need it
to be cross-platform. I've read a few previous threads from this list
concerning this subject so I know all the basic stuff, but atleast some of
the arguments I came across seems to be void these days. I have some
questions:

1. Is the win32 version of GTK really that unstable? It's homepage still
(as of today) contain a rather scary warning sign.

I taste  Gaim  on win32 with out problems.

2. Name some successful (in terms of many users, well-known) GTK-based
projects outside of the GNOME sphere? For instance QT has Opera and Adobe
Elements, in heavy use, outside of KDE.

The resent VMWare Player use GTK+ and follow the HIG; Acrobat Reader 7 and Ethereal use GTK+ too.

3. I guess there is a whole lot of people on list this that are using
multiple toolkits, but for those who prefer GTK over other toolkits: What
are your personal motivations for using GTK instead of something else?

In my personal opinion GTK+ is like a standar from IEC or IEEE, the steps of creation and mature takes a lot of time but the final is an open and ready to use document; GTK+ is taken that solid steps, may be slow, but secure, to belong the GUI standar in the future.

Most GUI like Qt has a lot of resources behing him from Trolltech, but the mission to have GUI with possibilities not avaraible from other free toolkits; but not finding or defining the standars needed to have a solid in the time (one or more parts could fail) or simple a solid base to do it.

I think the use of LGPL in GTK+ was the first example of the time solid desitions for the toolkit, thats why VMWare and Acrobat can use it.

5. If you where to start a cross-platform project today, with no prior
knowledge of any toolkits or languages. In order to maximize code
readability, programmer productivity and all that good stuff; what would
you choose? QT or GTK or maybe Java or .NET?

As said, you  depents of your project; if is it a long term and  thinking  to have a solid basic library or tool for other projects may be you need a  toolking  for the future.

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los cuates: LIBRE)