Re: QT vs GTK 2006

Martin Olsson writes:
 > 1. Is the win32 version of GTK really that unstable?

No. If it works, it works quite well. On some machines there are
problems with some 3rd-party fonts in Pango, but once you get around
those, it should run fine.

 >  It's homepage still (as of today) contain a rather scary warning sign.

Hmm, if you mean www.gimp.org/win32/, I guess the warning could be
toned down a bit. It's quite old... I'll edit that page.

 > 2. Name some successful (in terms of many users, well-known)
 > GTK-based projects outside of the GNOME sphere? For instance QT has
 > Opera and Adobe Elements, in heavy use, outside of KDE.

Projects that run on Win32? Ethereal, Gaim.

 > 5. If you where to start a cross-platform project today, with no prior
 > knowledge of any toolkits or languages.

Hmm, that assumption makes it rather impossible to answer the
question... I guess I would choose whatever experts tell me then.

But if I knew what I know now, I would choose Mono and gtk#.

 > 6. Does GTK support per-application skins/themes?

That should be possible using the gtk_add_default_file() to add a
per-application gtkrc file, for instance.

--tml