Re: Button background colors

On Thu Jun 15 05:27:35 2006, Jose Hevia wrote:
> At first, I agreed with this. Now I know that it's possible to make an
> intelligent program that knows witch colors are you using and take
> action from it.
>
> 80 per cent of themes are almost white for buttons, I like dark ones.
> This could be detected by the program and decide:
> If you are using bright themes {select this colors.}
> else {select the other ones.}
> based in contrast between them

How this makes the look consistent with Bumblebee [the
theme]?

Colors are not the only part of look and feel and they are
the easiest part.  When the theme uses pixmap backgrounds
you should [in most cases] take the pixmap, give it a tint
and use it instead of a solid color.  Etc.

Hackish theme engines like the qt one do not make it easier
either.

> Themeability is very important for Gtk, but using colors like scalable
> icons (look at these films with the "red button") without having to
> bother with complexity gives gtk a lot of power to give it away.

I agree with the importance, but I don't agree with the
statement it is solved.  The only real solution would be
taking your app specific widgets into account in the theme
itself and drawing themed icons for it if necessary.  Not
very realistic.

Instead we are left with a bunch of heuristics, workarounds
and hacks that do something not too awful in some common
cases.

Yeti

--
Anonyms eat their boogers.