Re: GTK apps very slow to launch

On 7/17/06, Michael Torrie <torriem chem byu edu> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 22:54 -0400, Richard Querin wrote:

What happens if, say Gedit is already running?  In that case the GTK
libraries are already in memory. Does running another GTK app (say "gtk-
demo") still load slowly?  Also Gedit is a gnome program, so it has to
load gtk and the gnome libraries.  You'll want to run your tests on pure
gtk2 apps and then add variables.

If Gedit is already running then it launches the new tab window almost instantly. If I have say, Firefox running already and I launch another instance of it, it comes up in under 2 seconds (the original instance takes about 12 sec to show up).

I'm running Ubuntu(6.06) with the gnome desktop. I don't have gtk-demo on my system, the closest I came was pyGTK-demo.py which I ran. It loaded slowly but the apps within it were fast (not sure that means much).