GTK apps very slow to launch

I'm not entirely sure if this is the appropriate mailing list for this question (apologies if it's not):

I've got a relatively new machine (P4-3Ghz w/ 1GB ram). It is running Ubuntu linux 6.06. All GTK based apps are taking a minimum of 10sec to appear on the desktop once launched. I've asked the question repeatedly on the ubuntu forums with no luck yet. I installed the linux-686-smp kernel and the prelink package and everything launched fast all of a sudden. Then, after installing other apps (such as F-spot and ipodder), application launching again slows down. Non-gtk apps seem to launch quickly.

It appears as though each gtk-based app is having trouble loading the libraries. Everything runs right after it launches, but it takes ages to launch.

Also, if I leave an app open (say Gedit, or Terminal), then launching a 2nd instance of Gedit or Terminal will happen quickly (1-2 sec). Dunno if that gives any clues.

 Where should I be looking to determine if this is the problem? Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Richard