Re: How do I update ONLY GLib?

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 15:25 -0600, Warren Fenlon wrote:
> Hi.  I have been working on a glade project and in the process of
> coding the callbacks, I discovered that my version of glib was old –
> something like 2.1?  One of the functions I need was added in 2.8, and
> after looking at the recent announcements, I decided to get version
> 2.12.4 (not TOO bleeding edge and seemed stable enough not having any
> updates for > 2 months).  So I downloaded the tar.gz, expanded it, ran
> configure (all defaults), and make/make install.  That all went
> smoothly.  I realized since I was using the defaults on configure that
> I was changing my prefix from /usr to /usr/local.  I considered this
> to be a GOOD thing since if I messed up my system that I could go back
> to my previous glib incarnation.  I thought to myself that all I would
> need to do after that was to update my Makefile to include these
> different glib dirs, but that did not work.  My compile is failing to
> find a function that is in 2.12, but not in 2.1.  So my questions are:
> 1. Is there a way to safely take 2.12.4 Glib for a test drive without
> overwriting my older Glib?  2.  Can I possibly just reconfigure GTK
> and/or the other dependent libs to recognize my new Glib version?

Typically you would want to update your system glib using your
package manager (synaptic ?).

If you want to install a tarball by hand in an optional prefix,
thats what you did.

I usually write a simple little script like this to build & test
stuff in an optional prefix:
===============================
PREFIX=/opt/gnome
PATH=$PREFIX/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PREFIX/lib
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig

export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH

And then feeding in /opt/gnome to the --prefix arg of configure.

You should be able to test your glib in /usr/local by simply
typing "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib ./myprogram".

Cheers,
                     -Tristan