How do I update ONLY GLib?

Hi.  I have been working on a glade project and in the process of coding the callbacks, I discovered that my version of glib was old – something like 2.1?  One of the functions I need was added in 2.8, and after looking at the recent announcements, I decided to get version 2.12.4 (not TOO bleeding edge and seemed stable enough not having any updates for > 2 months).  So I downloaded the tar.gz, expanded it, ran configure (all defaults), and make/make install.  That all went smoothly.  I realized since I was using the defaults on configure that I was changing my prefix from /usr to /usr/local.  I considered this to be a GOOD thing since if I messed up my system that I could go back to my previous glib incarnation.  I thought to myself that all I would need to do after that was to update my Makefile to include these different glib dirs, but that did not work.  My compile is failing to find a function that is in 2.12, but not in 2.1.  So my questions are: 1. Is there a way to safely take 2.12.4 Glib for a test drive without overwriting my older Glib?  2.  Can I possibly just reconfigure GTK and/or the other dependent libs to recognize my new Glib version?

Thanks – Warren