Re: Japanese Display for gtk+-1.2.9

By the way, the dillo successfully displayed japanese because we install fonts which is the

 usc-fonts.tar.gz
 usc-fonts-asian.tar.gz

After following the steps for installation,  we successfully run dillo with japanese. I thought gtk also affected by these installation but currently it just displayed. Is there a specific japanese font for EUC-JP encoding??? Because the ucs-fonts-asian only support UTF-8 encoding and also we found out that gtk-1.2 does not support UTF-8 encoding. EUC-JP is the supported one for gtk-1.2.

any hints on where I could find these fonts for EUC-JP???

>>If Japanese fonts are accessible via X core font API, the next problem
>>might be gtkrc is tuned to request unavailable Japanese fonts.
>>Please check if there's gtkrc.ja in some directory. In it, usually
>>default fontset for LANG=ja_JP environment is described.

I also noticed that file, when Im trying to renamed it, widgets display gurbled instead of lines. Maybe I was thinking also of the possibility that the fontset beeing defined by gtkrc.ja can't be found. But I don't know what's this exact japanese font for EUC-JP.

On 10/19/05, mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp <mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp > wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:32:27 +0800
Xyber Blue < xyberblue gmail com> wrote:

>It seems that our system has no xlsfonts command found on it.

Ouch. Your X environment is already moved to XFree86-4.x or
Xorg X11R6.7/later? Keith Packerd's tools like "fontconfig"
are really useless for gtk+-1.2.x world. I recommend you to
search .rpm (or .deb or anything else fitting your system)
including xlsfonts, xfontsel, xfd etc. They are useful to
check font setting for X core font API which gtk+- 1.2.x relies on.

>The only available command is locate so when I enter the command,
>the following jis are in my X11/fonts:
>
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/large/jisx0201.1976-0.enc.gz
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/large/jisx0208.1983-0.enc.gz
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/large/jisx0208.1990-0.enc.gz
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/large/jisx0212.1990-0.enc.gz
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/jiskan16.pcf.gz
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/jiskan24.pcf.gz
>
>Is this the exact fonts???

jiskan16, jiskan24 are Japanese font (16x16 bitmap, 24x24 bitmap).
Possibly you can find some jisx0208 fonts by
        grep jisx0208 /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.dir

In next, I want you to check whether X-server can provide jisx0208.
If X-server is configured well, fonts.dir reflects what fonts are
available via X core font API, but I cannot expect so.

If Japanese fonts are accessible via X core font API, the next problem
might be gtkrc is tuned to request unavailable Japanese fonts.
Please check if there's gtkrc.ja in some directory. In it, usually
default fontset for LANG=ja_JP environment is described.

Regards,
mpsuzuki