Creating themable custom stock icons

I've talked with Owen on IRC a few times about how to theme custom
stock icons from various GTK+ programs.  Basically, what he said came
down to using some specific code from iconfactory.c.  As this didn't
seem to be documented (and I don't know C), I got some help from
muntyan on IRC, who was able to figure out how to do this.  (Attached
is his working code.)

My questions are thus: Is that code a good example of what to do so
that custom stock icons are themable?  If so, can this be documented
somewhere?  My goal is to patch said programs and email the devs, but
I want to know what will work. :)

Regards,
Andrew Conkling