GTK under Mac OS 10.3?

I'm sorry if this question gets asked every week. But I did do some Googling for it and didn't come up with much other than a seemingly dead project.

So I'm trying to compile myself. Neede gettext. Ok. Needed pkgconf. Ok. Got glib to compile. But now pango's ./configure complains:

checking for X... no
configure: WARNING: X development libraries not found
checking for fontconfig >= 1.0.1... Package fontconfig was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fontconfig.pc'
No package 'fontconfig' found
configure: WARNING: No fontconfig found, skipping tests for FreeType and Xft
configure: error: *** Didn't find any of FreeType, X11, or Win32.
*** Must have at least one backend to build Pango.

And sure enough all I have is:

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.4.11.dylib

But before I continue chasing this goose, I'd like to hear from some folks that it can actually be caught.

Eh?

Thanks,

DT
--
Technical Director - Virginia Center for Computer Music
http://www.virginia.edu/music/vccm.html