Double buffering while moving in a 'fixed'

I know what I'm doing is against all things holy, but maybe someone else
thought about this before.

I have a GtkFixed container that I'm using to do little layout.

Inside the fixed I have components.  Components can be any widget and
they are also associated with a shape mask.  I collect all the widgets
and masks, then draw them into the fixed and mask them to get a shaped
window. (the components make use of 'normal' layout tools, like V/Hbox
etc.)

Now I want to move pieces around in an animated fashion cause I'm crazy
like that.

It all works, but I get a little flicker as you would expect if you
aren't double buffering.

Is there some strategy that would allow me to smooth out the drawing
while still retaining the individual GdkWindows on my components and
children so they can catch events?

Any ideas?  Anyone ever played with anything like this using gtk?

Regards

Andrew Shafer