Re: Some basic questions about gtk/gtk+ in embedded system

>> 1. Does the gtk+ can be used as an embedded gui?
>
>It depends on the complexity of the application and on the amount of storage
>space and RAM you have on your device. But basically i'd say yes. There
are
>some
>projects for user interfaces on mobile devices using GTK. (e.g. GPE -
>http://gpe.handhelds.org and Maemo - http://maemo.org).

I prefer fltk - it is faster for embedded devices (but if your device is
fast enough for gtk then fine).

>> 3. Can it be compared to Qt/E or MiniGUI?  What are the advantages and
>> disadvantages?
>
>GTK might be a little bit bigger than these two, but it is very powerful
>and
>there are bindings for many languages available. I personally like GTK because
>its native language is C instead of C++ and its good support for powerful
>themes. It is easy to develop applications on a desktop PC using the same
>API
>like on your embedded device and if necessary you can port applications
>run
>on that one easily. In addition to this GTK is LGPL licensed which is much
>easier to deal with compared to the dual licensing crap for Qt/E.

Agreed regarding licenses, but I much prefer C++ to C for this task...

>Yes, mostly - you only need to get used to the constraints you have using
>an
>object framework in C. It is a very good idea to have an API reference,
witout
>htis you are lost in a compley toolkit like GTK. Devhelp e.g. is very useful.

...because of the confusion this brings up. Although there are c++ bindings
for gtk I believe.

Its all a matter of choice anyway ;).

Have fun,

Ed.

Tiscali Broadband from 14.99 with free setup!

Christmas gift ideas and festive features - visit the Tiscali Christmas microsite.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/christmas