gnome-settings-daemon

Dear GTK people

I would like to be able to see me my GTK applications in IceWM using the
assigned font properties without having to deliberately invoke
gnome-font-properites or gnome-settings-daemon every time I boot.  Some
questions arise out of this.

Presumably I should use gnome-settings-daemon, and not
gnome-font-properties?

If so, do I need a gnome-settings-daemon per login, or just once?

If it is per login then presumably I would use ~/.xinitrc, but where for
just once?  /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.icewm?

And ~/.gtkrc-2.0.  How on earth does this relate to the settings made by
gnome-font-properties?

As you can see, I have had trouble with this subject.  By all means just
head me towards some documentation, I just couldn't find any.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to provide.

Regards
Ian

Slackware 10.1