Re: Big problem now Michael Torrie >_0

On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 14:28 -0700, Hudson T. Clark wrote:
> Ok well I picked the advice that resulted in replacing my older
> version of glib with the newer one… everything seemed to go fine until
> I started fooling around with pango! Now I used removepkg on the old
> pango and installed the new pango (using –prefix=/usr to make sure, I
> don’t know if that was  good idea or not). Now gnome is crashing with
> the error:
>

> Gnome-session: error while loading shared libraries:
> libpangoft2-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

Looks like you'll either have to reinstall the old gtk and pango
packages, or recompile all the gnome apps that depended on the older
version.  I find the error odd, though, since GTK 2.4.x (and it's
dependencies like pango) are binary api compatible with gtk 2.0.

> I’m guessing I broke something and I have to download another library
> or something?

Welcome to dependency hell.

Looks like you'll have to put back the older versions of the library and
then install the new libraries in /usr/local.  Use the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
variable to point to the new libraries after building glib and before
building any program that you want to use the newer libraries.

Michael