Re: Preparing for Cairo?

Hrrm...

Todd Fisher <toddf simosoftware com>
Sent by: gtk-list-bounces gnome org
04/11/2004 10:23 AM

        To:     "David Necas (Yeti)" <yeti physics muni cz>
        cc:     gtk-list gnome org
        Subject:        Re: Preparing for Cairo?

>    Perhaps, this document will help
> http://people.redhat.com/otaylor/guadec5/

Hrmm.. not really. I've read pretty much all the information I could find
on cairo and it's integration with gtk, but much of it is in tanalising
snippets. This one covert quite a lot, but is pitched at a low level.
While it talks about gtk/cairo integration in terms of how an expose event
occurs (which is also what is wrapped up in GtkCairo) it makes only subtle
hints at GnomeCanvas becoming (or being replaced by) a GtkCanvas. This
could imply that no API change for the canvas is expected over this
transition. If so, I haven't found any definitate statement to that
effect, and I would like to solicit one :)

This September/2003 post from Owen @
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2003-September/msg00027.html
hints more strongly that a common rendering model could give GnomeCanvas a
nudge down to the gtk level. On the other hand, to my mind it doesn't rule
out the possibility of an API rewrite to take advantage of the new Cairo
capabilities.

This August/2004 post on the cairo lists @
http://cairographics.org/pipermail/cairo/2004-August/001775.html indicates
that no cairo canvas existed at that time, although
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/criawips-devel/2004-07/msg00005.html
announces work starting on such a project (I haven't been able to track
down the actual software). Either way, what I would like is a gtk canvas
(possibly built on cairo) rather than a cairo canvas that won't integrate
with gtk widgets. Fundamentally I need to be able to draw, zoom, and pan
shapes while allowing gtk buttons and other widgets to live and be scaled
alongside my lines and curves.

If I start working with GnomeCanvas today, how much headwind will I hit
once the gtk/cairo integration actually goes ahead? Will GnomeCanvas
evolve into a cairo-based canvas or be replaced by it? Will its api have
to change in order to support the "you beaut" cairo features that are
coming along?

Is there are a better alternative to using a canvas at this point for the
kind of work I'm looking into?

> also these links might help:
> http://cairo.freedesktop.org/
> and
> http://cairo.freedesktop.org/bin/view/cairo/GtkCairo
> hope, these help :-)

Thanks for your effort, Todd. Perhaps I should try to engage Owen or a
gnome-canvas developer more directly.