Re: Which are the plans for Cairo?

On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 01:36, Fabr�o Barros Cabral wrote:
> Hi people!
>
> I'd like know, if possible of course, which are the plans for Cairo. I saw in this list that
> Owen said about to use of Cairo into GTK+, but I'd like more details. Will be Cairo part of
> GDK layer or another independent library like Pango?

There are no definite plans currently, but hope is to use the Cairo
API natively. That is, you'd have something like:

 void my_widget_expose (GtkWidget *widget, GdkEventExpose *expose)
 {
    cairo_t context = gdk_drawable_get_cairo (widget->window);

    /* draw with cairo commands */
 }

Or maybe we'd have a default ::expose handler that chained to a
::render method that took a cairo_t.

 void my_widget_render (GtkWidget *widget, cairo_t context)
 {
   /* Draw with cairo commands */
 }

There are doubtless going to be some areas where cairo won't be
quite "GTK-ish" - the type names being one glaringly obvious
one, but if we pay attention now, we can get most difficulties
fixed.

> And after use of Cairo, how will be the
> GnomeCanvas library? Will be create a new GTK+ widget (GtkCanvas)?

I think a GtkCanvas might make a lot of sense once we have Cairo;
the limitations of the GDK rendering model have been one big reason
to avoid putting a canvas in GTK+.

But that's in the semi-distant future. First finish Cairo, then
look at integrating it into GTK+, then look at a Cairo-based canvas.