Re: Install problem on 2.4.0 - missing fontconfig

Hi Dave!

After some work, I found:

* XFree86 4.4.0 does not include fontconfig.

Did you setup your PKG_CONFIG_PATH to include the packages under /usr/X11R6? I think fontconfig resides there under 4.4.0.

* GTK+-2.4.0 still would not load (no fontconfig).
* 4.4.0 obsoleted my hand edited "/etc/X11/XF86Config" file (dual screens, keyboards, mice, etc.) and it would take some time to figure out how to create a proper working version in the 4.4.0 format.

For me, restoring the backup copy of XF86Config did help here.

* 4.4.0 also modified such things as the startup procedure, the printer setup, various preferences, etc.

I also had to restore xinitrc. About the other configuration files, I don't know.

[...]

Anyway, installing gtk-2.4.0 seems quite complicated and I wish there would be more docs on solving common problems.

-- Steffen