gtk problems

I successfully compiled gtk+-2.2.4:
./configure
make
make install

but then I try to run a ./configure file on another program and it is unable to find GTK+, why?  What do I need to do?  I even tried the pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0 and it first ran an error that I needed to add the path to gtk+-2.0.pc to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable, ok so I did that, then I got an error that I needed to add the path to gdk-x11-2.0-uninstalled.pc to my PKG_CONFIG_PATH, but I either do not have one, or cannot find it.  Please give any advise you can.