Re: simple text editing

Dnia 21-12-2004, wto o godzinie 08:34 -0800, email micahcarrick com
napisał:
> Hello,
>
> I'm very new to GTK and Linux programming in general-- I come from a Win32
> background.  I am very fond of the free software movement and for that
> reason, among others, have chosen gnome to use as my environment and have
> chosen to learn GTK+/Gnome programming.
>
> I do a bit of programming for an embedded 8-bit programmer known as a PIC.
>  It has a very small instruction set and is compiled using a program known
> as gpasm.  I wanted to create a small text editor with syntax highlighting
> for it's asm syntax and have the assemble callable from within the editor
> and show the output in the output window-- basically a lightweight and
> minimal IDE for a PIC.
>
> My question is, would this type of thing be doable via plugins for GEDIT
> and if so, can someone point me in the right direction?  I'd rather not
> reinvent the wheel.  GEDIT is perfect if I can find a way to add my syntax
> highlighting and create a dialog for calling the assembler.
>
> If GEDIT is not the way to go, does anybody know of a good way to approach
> this project.  I realize I have a lot of learning to do.  I have two books
> on the subject of GTK and/or Gnome developement and have been tinkering
> within the Anjuta IDE-- but am ultimately a "newbie". Any advise would be
> much appreciated.

You might be better off with emacs -- there's plenty of modes written
for it, and basically there's almost nothing that can't be added. Guess
what editor I use ;)

Cheers,
Maciej

PS. Of course the price is that emacs is not as straightforward to use
right away as GEdit, especially if you have Win32 background, but OTOH
it's heavily optimised for being intensive-use editor. GEdit is much
simpler, but IMHO is better as quick viewer rather than tool you use for
heavy programming. It's all matter of taste, though, so YMMV

--
Maciej Katafiasz <ml mathrick org>