Re: simple text editing

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 22:04, email micahcarrick com wrote:

> If GEDIT is not the way to go, does anybody know of a good way to approach
> this project.  I realize I have a lot of learning to do.  I have two books
> on the subject of GTK and/or Gnome developement and have been tinkering
> within the Anjuta IDE-- but am ultimately a "newbie". Any advise would be
> much appreciated.

It's not very difficult to do in Anjuta either. You need following
things done:

1) If you are satisfied with generic asm language syntax highlighting,
anjuta has it. Otherwise, if you want more customized highlighting, you
need to write a lexer for scintilla for your programming language. You
can probably derive the code from the existing lexer.

2) Anjuta (from cvs) uses plugin architecture. You can write a simple
plugin for building your projects. There are some documentation and
sample plugins already for your assistance. You can even take the
existing "autotools-build" plugin and modify it to create a new
customized plugin.

3) If you use automake for your project builds, then existing anjuta
plugins should be sufficient. If not then things are little complicated,
as you may need to write a new project-manager backend. If you don't
want project management capabilities, you may of course skip this.

Some documentations are available at website (http://anjuta.org/), but
you are best adviced to follow existing plugins. Checkout anjuta from
cvs or download the hourly build from website and start experimenting.

Regards,
-Naba