simple text editing

Hello,

I'm very new to GTK and Linux programming in general-- I come from a Win32
background.  I am very fond of the free software movement and for that
reason, among others, have chosen gnome to use as my environment and have
chosen to learn GTK+/Gnome programming.

I do a bit of programming for an embedded 8-bit programmer known as a PIC.
 It has a very small instruction set and is compiled using a program known
as gpasm.  I wanted to create a small text editor with syntax highlighting
for it's asm syntax and have the assemble callable from within the editor
and show the output in the output window-- basically a lightweight and
minimal IDE for a PIC.

My question is, would this type of thing be doable via plugins for GEDIT
and if so, can someone point me in the right direction?  I'd rather not
reinvent the wheel.  GEDIT is perfect if I can find a way to add my syntax
highlighting and create a dialog for calling the assembler.

If GEDIT is not the way to go, does anybody know of a good way to approach
this project.  I realize I have a lot of learning to do.  I have two books
on the subject of GTK and/or Gnome developement and have been tinkering
within the Anjuta IDE-- but am ultimately a "newbie". Any advise would be
much appreciated.

M. Carrick