Re: why is gtk install so difficult?

At Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 03:19:40PM -0400, Ruben Safir Secretary NYLXS wrote:
> > If you're so unsure about its location that you're resorting to 'find', you
> > just bought yourself a 'find /'.  Yes, over *all* the file systems.
>
> Not really.  You just need to check /opt /usr/include and /lib

/usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, $(PREFIX), $LDFLAGS, anything nonstandard in
/etc/ld.so.conf on Linux... and that's just for libraries, not includes.
The cure is worse than the disease.

GTK+ simply expects anyone compiling from source to give it a clean
system to run on. If things were broken before it arrived, that can
hardly be blamed on GTK+ itself.

> While find is a HOG, you are only perhaps doing this once, writing results
> to a file in /tmp which can be timestamped for future installed system.

/tmp is traditionally cleaned on boot. In certain environments, random
files may also get removed by the system administrator if the partition
gets full.

Incidentally, trying to store *another* file somewhere is going to run
into all the same configure problems as finding the files in the first
place.

--
Chad Daelhousen
My opinions are my own, until UB purchases my soul.