Re: why is gtk install so difficult?

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:20:11PM -0400, Chad A Daelhousen wrote:
> At Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 03:19:40PM -0400, Ruben Safir Secretary NYLXS wrote:
> > > If you're so unsure about its location that you're resorting to 'find', you
> > > just bought yourself a 'find /'.  Yes, over *all* the file systems.
> >
> > Not really.  You just need to check /opt /usr/include and /lib
>
> /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, $(PREFIX), $LDFLAGS, anything nonstandard in
> /etc/ld.so.conf on Linux... and that's just for libraries, not includes.
> The cure is worse than the disease.

I disagree.  The cure is the cure.  And /etc/ld.so.conf is easy enough to
cat, is it not?

> GTK+ simply expects anyone compiling from source to give it a clean
> system to run on. If things were broken before it arrived, that can
> hardly be blamed on GTK+ itself.

And this statement is a a statement of acceptence of incompetency and negligence
which has plagued gnome for a LONG LONG time.  The ability to upgrade the sources
through a constitant use of defaults for autoconf is ESSENTIAL to the long term
usage of any large software package in which the user is to become dependent on.

Ruben

--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions

http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting