Re: Compiling gtk error - png ???

Sven Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz <Jose-Marcio Martins ensmp fr> writes:
>
> > There was an error before this one. When makefile tried to create
> > gdk-pix-buf/gdk-pixbuf.loaders file there was the following error,
> > which I reproduce, running it by hand :
> >
> > ./gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders libpixbufloader-static-png.la
>
> I don't think it makes much sense to try to dynamically load a static
> libtool archive. I have no idea why you built static versions of the

Sure. But I configured gtk with

	./configure --enable-static=yes --enable-shared=no

This seems to me that it's a valid configure option, and compile process should behave as expected. Am I wrong ?

> pixbuf loaders. Static versions need to be compiled into the library
> and cannot be handled by gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders. Does your system
> not support dynamic modules?

I'd like to have a static version of gtk to create applications linked statically, as this applications will be installed over many of our workstations.

This allows us to get rid of version management of installed dynamic libraries on each workstation. I'd like to be sure applications will continue to run if do a system update, or if I change path order inside LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or if I update libraries.

Some applications need version 1.2 of gtk. Some others need 2.xx version...

Dynamic libraries and modules are a good idea but management of versions is a nightmare.  8-(

But this isn't a glib/gtk specific problem.

> Salut, Sven

 Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           Tel. :(33) 01.40.51.93.41
 Ecole Nationale Superieure des Mines de Paris
 Centre de Calcul                      http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
 60, bd Saint Michel                http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins
 75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06      mailto:Jose-Marcio Martins ensmp fr