Re: Fuzzy fonts under 2.2.2?

Geoff on June 24, 2003 wrote:

 > Thank-you very much for that Sven.  I already have freetype
 > 2.1.4 (which seems to be current), with the bytecode
 > interpreter enabled.  I set GDK_USE_XFT=0 and (as you
 > anticipated), everything went back to normal, so at least I
 > know that I can use that for the time being.  It is a pain
 > that this won't last because I strongly prefer the look and
 > feel of GTK+ applications to (eg) Qt ones.

Hi Geoff,

If you'd like to use Xft2 (which I suppose you'll have to in 2.4),
but don't want anti-aliased fonts, you can have Xft2 turn off the
antialiasing by  following the instructions at

http://www.xfree86.org/~dawes/4.3.0/fonts2.html#4

Or, to summarize what you'll need, edit your /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file,
and before the final </fontconfig> line, insert these lines:

<match target="font">
    <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
        <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>