Re: Fuzzy fonts under 2.2.2?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:13:48 +0200
Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> wrote:

<snip>

> GTK+-2.2 by default uses Xft2 to render antialiased fonts
> while GTK+-2.0 defaulted to the old-fashioned X11 core
> fonts. If you really don't like the new font rendering,
> you can set the environment variable GDK_USE_XFT to 0. But
> you should be aware that the old server-side font
> rendering will not stay forever, it is likely not to be
> supported with future releases of Pango.
>
> You can improve the text rendering by using an uptodate
> version of freetype2. Also, enabling the truetype bytecode
> interpreter in freetype2 improves the legibility of small
> fonts.

Thank-you very much for that Sven.  I already have freetype
2.1.4 (which seems to be current), with the bytecode
interpreter enabled.  I set GDK_USE_XFT=0 and (as you
anticipated), everything went back to normal, so at least I
know that I can use that for the time being.  It is a pain
that this won't last because I strongly prefer the look and
feel of GTK+ applications to (eg) Qt ones.

Personal preferences vary so much.  If my system is
set up properly (I am going to re-ckeck everything), then,
from my perspective, I simply can't imagine how anyone could
find the new rendering to be any kind of improvement over
the old one.

Thanks again,

Geoff