what to use instead of gnome pixmap

I've tried using gnome pixmap for  an application that receives the data
through a socket, writes it in a file (it's a targa image), and loads it
in the pixmap. Then it loops.

I've  read that  the gnome  pixmap is  deprecated (and  I have  got some
weirdy  problems with  it). What  should I  use instead  of it?  A gnome
canvas? Does anyone of you an example of how to load an image (better if
in targa format) in a gnome canvas?

Is there a  way to pass the  data to the canvas without  having to write
the file every time?

Thank you.