Fuzzy fonts under 2.2.2?

Hello,

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I am puzzled.

I just upgraded from gtk+-2.0.9 to 2.2.2.  I don't run
gnome, but I think I have all necessary libraries.  I am
running Xfree 4.3 and the icewm WM.

I am no expert on fonts.  I work mostly in arial, and I
immediately noticed that the font seems to look less sharp
than it did before I upgraded.  The difference was
immediately obvious in the newsreader Pan, where I had
previously been using arial 12, which now looked bigger and
much fuzzier than before.  It helps to reduce the size to 11
(which previously would have been too small and is now quite
legible), but the poorer quality (to my eye), of the
rendering remains.

Is there a reason for this?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Geoff