RE: porting from GTK+12. to GTK+2.x

> From: Peter Van Osta [mailto:pvosta unionbio-eu com]
> I have a huge project built with Gale (Gnome Glade 0.6.2) and
> GNOME/GTK+1.2 on RedHat 7.x. This summer I would like to upgrade to
> GNOME 2.x on RedHat Linux 8.x.
>
> What is the appropriate way to do this and how to convert tons of code
> and continue working with all the source code we have built over the
> years ? I want to get a good impression of the trouble/catastrofes we
> will probably encounter. We do not have the manpower to let
> it take much
> more than two weeks.
>
> I know we lag behind in upgrading to GNOME 2.0, but there are too much
> external libraries which are mission critical to upgrade on a whimp.

You do know that you don't _need_ to port your code, right? You can install
the GNOME 1.2/1.4 libraries in parallel with the GNOME 2 libraries. Of
course, your code will be nicer, and your app will be better after you port
it.

There are porting guides. There are 2 links here:
http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gtkmm-root/base/PORTING#44

If you just use mostly GTK+ it should not be too difficult because lots of
the old API still exists. It's just marked as deprecated. However, you will
probably need to port any GtkCList or GtkCTree code to GtkTreeView - that's
not a simple conversion and it might take a while. It's worth it though.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com