Re: porting from GTK+12. to GTK+2.x

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 09:35:46AM +0200, Peter Van Osta wrote:
> What is the appropriate way to do this and how to convert tons of code
> and continue working with all the source code we have built over the
> years ? I want to get a good impression of the trouble/catastrofes we
> will probably encounter. We do not have the manpower to let it take much
> more than two weeks.

Many people do a lot of rewriting when they port, which I would
consider a mistake.

Modulo the documented issues in the ref. manual
(http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-changes-2-0.html) not
much should _break_ when you just rebuild with 2.0.

However, many people rewrite GtkCTree code to use GtkTreeView, which
can be a lot of work, for example. Such rewrites are optional and can
be done in a later phase after the initial port.

There's often a better way to do something with 2.0 than there was
with 1.2, but the old way typically still works.

Havoc