Retrieving data from a GtkList

Hi...
This time i found myself looking for a function to retrieve the text of
a selected item i'm displaying in a GtkList but found none. Do i have to
keep my string values (or any data i want to retrieve from the list) in
a separate GList and then "mark" them with the same index used in the
gtk_list_select_item function? I usually do stuff like that in Visual
Basic since the MS bound controls are very unstable.

SALUDOS!!!
rtriay
:)