help with text wrapping on a GtkTreeView and displaying non US chars

Hi.

I want to display ISO-8859-1 characters on a text cell on a GtkTreeView.
I'm getting this error:

Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

The text gets cut where the first character with an accent should
appear.

I tried the g_locale_to_UTF8, but it cuts the text before it ends even
if it is plain US characters. I tried this:

gtk_tree_store_set(model, &comment_iter, 6, comment->id, 7,
g_locale_to_utf8(comment->comment, -1, NULL, NULL, NULL), -1);

How can I display european characters?

Also, I want the comment to wrap around a fixed column width, instead of
having the column grow. I tried changing properties on the text cell
renderer and the tree view column, but no luck.
How can I do that??

Thanks for your help.