Re: 3 questions

Todd Goyen <wettoad knighthoodofbuh org> writes:

> On 09 Jul 2002 20:59:47 +0200
> Sven Neumann <sven gimp org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Todd Goyen <wettoad knighthoodofbuh org> writes:
> >
> > > 1- I have a gtkfilesel widget and when i view a directory i get
> > > errors like this when there is an umlauted character in the
> > > filename:
> > >
> > > Gtk-Message: [Invalid UTF-8] The filename "Björk - Headphones.wav"
> > > couldn't be converted to UTF-8 (try setting the environment variable
> > > G_BROKEN_FILENAMES): Invalid byte sequence in conversion input
> > > [...]
> > > What must be done to fix this?
> >
> > read the error message again; it has the answer to your question.
> >
> > Basically your problem is that the filenames you use are not UTF-8
> > encoded (or plain ASCII). If you set the environment variable
> > G_BROKEN_FILENAMES, glib will attempt to convert filenames to and from
> > the native encoding of your locale.
> >

> So I am using the Debian Sid packages, should they setup this environment variable for me, and if so I would think this is a bug in debian.

The GTK+ maintainers (well, me) consider not; putting a local dependent
character set into the file system without any identification of
which file system it is is inherently a bad idea, and it shouldn't
be encouraged. (Hence the variable name.)

There is mention of this in the GTK+-.2.0 README which is likely
part of the Debian package.

Regards,
                                        Owen