3 questions

hello all
i have three questions that i hope can be answered.
I am using GTK2 so that applies to all of them

1- I have a gtkfilesel widget and when i view a directory i get errors like this when there is an umlauted character in the filename:

Gtk-Message: [Invalid UTF-8] The filename "Björk - Headphones.wav" couldn't be converted to UTF-8 (try setting the environment variable G_BROKEN_FILENAMES): Invalid byte sequence in conversion input
w my home directory

The file then doesn't show up in the file listing.
What must be done to fix this?

2- I have a popup menu and i would like it to popup over an entire hbox so i set the exposure masks for this hbox and it doesn't work right, must i set GDK_BUTTON_PRESS_MASK for all the child widgets?

3- This one also deals with popups.
if i have a vpaned and a treeview on either side of it, i would like popup menus on both treeviews.  This code almost works as expected except the popup menus dont work until the vpaned has been moved once. Then the menus function as expected until the program exits.

Thanks
Todd Goyen