How to use GtkCheckMenuItem?

I'm building an application with Glade and have run into a problem
with a menu item not behaving as I expect.  I have a menu in the
menubar labelled "View" where I intend to put several check box items
which can be used to turn on/off various top-level windows.  The first
one I am working on is a "File List" window based on a CList.
Initially, I simply forced the window to be created (if necessary) and
displayed every time I would open a new file; this way, I *knew* the
code to create and display the window was working properly.  Next, I
changed the menu to add the "View->File List" item and added a
callback to the GtkCheckMenuItem for the "toggled" signal.  Inside the
signal handler, I put a g_message call to let me know the signal
handler was invoked: but it isn't.

After some trial-and-error (and poking about the GTK headers), I've
discovered that using the "activate" signal and checking the status of
GTK_MENU_CHECK_ITEM(object)->active is the "right" thing to do.
Is this a Glade problem?

roland
--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland rlenter com                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B