Re: first time post with some questions

    >>  The inclusion of explicit bidi marks to fix these small reordering
    >> glitches in the Unicode algorithm should have no effect on my routine.
    >>
    >> The idea behind my approach is to demonstrate that exactly the same
    >> results as the Unicode Bidi Reordering algorithm can be achieved in a
    >> much simpler fashion.
    >>
    >> Because the Unicode reordering algorithm is the reference, if mine does
    >> not produce exactly the same results, then it is no good.

    Owen> I don't really follow - you claim that your algorithm handles some
    Owen> cases better, but, on the other hand you say that you want to get
    Owen> exactly the same results.

Sorry, I'm juggling a million things at once and have been leaving lots of
little details like this out.

Given the same correct input string, the reordered output string from my
routine should be the same as a true implementation of the Unicode Bidi
algorithm.

The difference with my algorithm is that even if some explicit directional
marks get left out (an incorrect input string, if you will), the text will
probably be reordered correctly anyway.

    Owen> I'm definitely of the opinion that following the Unicode algorithm
    Owen> exactly is a absolute necessity, which is perhaps the main reason
    Owen> for using the FriBidi code in Pango.

I definitely agree that there should be a single way to do this.  It makes
life a lot easier for everyone.

    Owen> And FriBidi isn't very complex - as it is currently, without
    Owen> handling explicit embedding and overrides, the part that Pango uses
    Owen> is about 600 lines of code. Adding {LR,RL}{O,E} shouldn't be more
    Owen> than a few hundred more.

About the same amount of code in my routine so far too.

    Owen> (I actually think that explicit embeddings and overrides are going
    Owen> to be fairly rare, but would like to see the support there.)

Very likely.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab            Cinema, radio, television, magazines are a
New Mexico State University       school of inattention: people look without
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL             seeing, listen without hearing.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                            -- Robert Bresson