Re: first time post with some questions

    Roozbeh> It depends on what should be considered reasonable. Against what
    Roozbeh> FriBidi claims in its readme file, it does not have any support
    Roozbeh> for explicit bidi marks, which will be needed in anything more
    Roozbeh> than causual usage.

Hmm.  I haven't looked at FriBidi for quite a while.  I thought Dov would have
support for explicit bidi marks by now.

Anyway, I hope to have my Pretty Good Bidi Algorithm done, including explicit
bidi marks by the end of December.  Small and fast, it works for many cases
already, but has three serious flaws:

  1. Doesn't reorder certain kinds of numerical expressions in Arabic quite
     right.

  2. Doesn't support explicit bidi marks.

  3. The cursor tracking doesn't work right in some cases.

It does however, address some odd things that come up in the Unicode Bidi
algorithm, like positioning trailing parentheses/brackets/etc correctly
without the need for explicit bidi marks.  I've been using variations of this
approach since 1995 and it has worked "pretty good" :-)

If you want to play with it, go to the following page:

  http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/ucdata.html
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab            Cinema, radio, television, magazines are a
New Mexico State University       school of inattention: people look without
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL             seeing, listen without hearing.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                            -- Robert Bresson