Re: first time post with some questions

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Mark Leisher wrote:

> It does however, address some odd things that come up in the Unicode Bidi
> algorithm, like positioning trailing parentheses/brackets/etc correctly
> without the need for explicit bidi marks.  I've been using variations of this
> approach since 1995 and it has worked "pretty good" :-)

Mark, are you sure this should be done? I mean anything other than exact
standard compliance in this case, will really annoy the user. She will
have something shown on her Windows application, and something else on his
Unix application, for example.

You may have seen my Arabic joining problems post on the Unicode list. We
(heavy Arabic users) can't afford the difference. If something comes in
the right order here, it should be right there. Or the text is not usable.

Me and my colleagues are trying to implement explicit marks in FriBidi,
because there's simply no complete version of Unicode bidi available. The
reference implementaion is not usable, the Microsoft version is not
compliant, the Mozilla version is far from complete, so there only remains
FriBidi which is both usable (proof: Robert's xterm) and easy enough to
invest on. We can then push everyone to do compliant support.

--roozbeh