Upgrading gtk+

I am running RedHat 5.2 with the gtk+ 1.0.6-3 and equivalent
devel packages installed. I have downloaded gtk+-1.2.3-2.i386.rpm
the equivalent gtk+-devel  package and the equivalent glib and
glib-devel
packages. I have the following questions:

1. If I am installing the gtk+ packages, are the glib ones redundant?
2. RPM bails out and complains about dependencies if I try to install
the newer packages with only the -U option. Should I try it with
-nodeps? That is, will I really break dependencies?

TIA,

Binyomin