RE: [gtk-list] Upgrading gtk+

On 23-Mar-2000 Binyomin Kaplan wrote:
> I am running RedHat 5.2 with the gtk+ 1.0.6-3 and equivalent
> devel packages installed. I have downloaded gtk+-1.2.3-2.i386.rpm
> the equivalent gtk+-devel  package and the equivalent glib and
> glib-devel
> packages. I have the following questions:
>
> 1. If I am installing the gtk+ packages, are the glib ones
> redundant?

No, glib underlies GTK.

> 2. RPM bails out and complains about dependencies if I try to
> install
> the newer packages with only the -U option. Should I try it with
> -nodeps? That is, will I really break dependencies?

GTK 1.0 is not API compatible with GTK 1.2. Programs built with GTK
1.0 will not work if you remove it and install GTK 1.2

-tony

---
E-Mail: trog@gtk.org
There is Jackson standing like a stone wall.  Let us determine to die,
and we will conquer.  Follow me.
		-- General Barnard E. Bee (CSA)

Go Bezerk! http://www.gtk.org/~trog