Re: gtk-term widget?

Matthew wrote:

> > Since gnome-libs is on all the Linux distributions with a remotely
> > intresting marketshare, and these will be 95% of your users if you're
> > doing free software, this is a pretty wrong statement.
>
> Really?  Now what you're not saying is that on Slack and Suse (and others?) you
> have to explicitely select them or they will not be installed.  :)  To the
> newer crop of users that's just as bad as not being on the CD.  Redhat is the
> only distro THAT I KNOW <disclaimer> that defaults to installing Gnome in all
> install options.

Or Solaris or AIX users. Though I did see an AIX guy at IBM running E, I
don't think he'd managed to get Gnome to compile yet.

I always thought the default (CDE or whatever that thing is that comes
with SCO) environment that comes with most commercial unices was so
vomitous that I'd much rather run in terminal mode. Having GTK/Gnome on
all of them would really kind of rock. I wish the commercial UNIX
distributors would spend some time to get all that stuff working
smoothly.

Not that I deal with so many unices anymore, but when I was working at
IBM we had AIX, HP/UX, Solaris and SCO and were just adding a Linux port
of our software. Actually we rewrote the software in Linux (With a GTK
front end :-) and started back-porting it to the other unices.
Interesting work, really, if I didn't also have to deal with OS/2 and
Windows there, I'd have stayed.

--
Bruce Ide
bruce.ide@echostar.com