Re: gtk-term widget?

Matthew <matthew@mattshouse.com> writes:
> > The gtkhtml package comes with a Bonobo component, and it comes with
> > printing that uses gnome-print, but the widget itself is not dependent
> > on GNOME.  Try "grep gnome *.[hc]" in the source directory and see
> > that only the printing and bonobo files even include gnome.h.
>
> In my book, that makes GtkHtml dependant on Gnome.  It doesn't matter how far
> down the dependencies are.  If GtkHtml depends on Bonobo, and Bonobo depends on
> Gnome, then GtkHtml depends on Gnome.  <Unrelated>  The Gnome-print project is
> doing one helluva job!  I love you guys.  Now change it to gtk-print and I'll
> shut up. :)

I'm not saying the dependencies are far down, I'm saying that the
Bonobo dependency is nonexistent for the widget. It only exists for
the Bonobo component (as you might imagine).

>  You keep saying 1.4 which is still a long
> way off.

Not true, not true. Hopefully a month or so to beta and another month
to release. End of July you can use it. Sometime in August, worst
case. You can maybe start developing against the beta in only a month
or so.

Of course, people using GNOME will have to wait much longer to
upgrade. ;-)

>  You say "conspiracy theory" like we're weird, or against you, or
> both.  I'm just looking out for my favorite toolkit, and my soon-to-be
> livelyhood.  Although I can accept weird.

All I mean by conspiracy theory is "not based on the facts." The GTK
people are very much committed to making GTK an excellent standalone
platform by itself. This is important for the Windows port, for
embedded systems, and for ISVs that want maximum ease of deployment.
It also results in an easier-to-document and easier-to-learn platform,
because people don't have to try to figure out all these different
libraries, they just grab GTK and a GTK book and that's it.

I'll happily admit that there are people who want you to use GNOME and
only GNOME, but this is not the list where you will find them. ;-)

Havoc