Re: gtk-term widget?

Count Zero <countzero@cyberdeck.org> writes:
> Hear, hear!  I heartily agree.	And of course the line gets drawn e'er
> thinner with the introduction of such things as the GNOME
> dependent "GtkHTML" widget.

It isn't GNOME dependent. The widget depends on gdk-pixbuf (it has to
display images), but gdk-pixbuf will be in GTK 1.4 and doesn't require
GNOME even now.

The gtkhtml package comes with a Bonobo component, and it comes with
printing that uses gnome-print, but the widget itself is not dependent
on GNOME.  Try "grep gnome *.[hc]" in the source directory and see
that only the printing and bonobo files even include gnome.h.

You might say "the way the build is currently set up, you need GNOME
to build it," but since the widget is unstable and not really
deployable in real apps yet anyway, I don't think this is a very big
point. One can always hack the build by the time a stable release
rolls around, or trivially cut-and-paste, since there is no actual
GNOME dependency.

So, yet another piece of "GTK getting absorbed by GNOME" conspiracy
theory evidence ruthlessly destroyed. Who's up next? ;-)

> Since it is dependent on GNOME, why is it not called the GNOME-HTML widget?
> Then those of us who want users for our applications can know in advance to
> steer clear of it.

Since gnome-libs is on all the Linux distributions with a remotely
intresting marketshare, and these will be 95% of your users if you're
doing free software, this is a pretty wrong statement.

You should be much more concerned about the fact that GtkHTML isn't
stable and is thus a serious pain for your users to get the correct
version of, since there's no guaranteed binary/source compatibility
from one day to the next. This also means that Linux distributions are
not yet shipping this stuff. So if you were going to use GtkHTML
today, you should basically be including a snapshot of it with your
app, and if you do that you can easily disentangle the superficial
GNOME dependency of the current gtkhtml build.

Havoc