Re: gtk-term widget?

Matthew <matthew@mattshouse.com> writes:

> Not a very nice thing to say, Havoc.

Sorry, I was just saying something mildly biting because I didn't
understand the question "there's a widget in GNOME, but is anyone
working on another one?" - why not cut and paste the silly thing?
Working on another one makes no sense and seems to reflect an
irrational "if it's in GNOME I can't use it" prejudice.

>   He's probably like a lot of us that are
> growing more and more concerned with the assimilation of Gtk by
> Gnome.

Quite the opposite is happening. For GTK 1.2, there are many things in
gnome-libs that are sorely lacking in GTK itself. For GTK 1.4, this
will pretty much be untrue (the major exceptions are GnomeCanvas and
GnomeClient, and those are being excluded solely because they can't be
done properly without delaying the release of GTK 1.4 by a lot).

I've personally been campaigning to make this happen, for example with
stock icons, a better dialog widget, gdk-pixbuf, etc. My Inti library
(sourceware.cygnus.com/inti/) doesn't use GNOME either. So don't
accuse me of gnome-libs-only conspiracies. ;-)

I do understand that there are plenty of reasons to use GTK only, and
with GTK 1.4 I think those reasons will be stronger since the
advantages of libgnomeui will be substantially less.

However, we are sure to get flamed anyway because the objection Adrian
and others seem to have to libgnomeui is that it's too hard to install
due to dependencies, and guess what, GTK 1.4 wants a half-dozen
image-loader libraries plus Pango as dependencies because it has the
libgnomeui features. Just goes to show that you can't please everyone!

Anyway, no conspiracy here folks, look at the facts of the code in the
development version of GTK, read your gtk-devel-list archives...

Havoc