Re: gtk_fixed_move and flicker

Gary Scavone wrote:
> I'm using a gtk_fixed widget with a lot of buttons inside that a user
> can drag around (eventually, there could be 100-200 buttons, but at
> the moment I only have 10).  I'm getting a lot of "flickering" of the
> other buttons when I drag one around.

Hi Gary, I do something like this in my app, and have good results using
gtk_layout.

Layout doesn't redraw other widgets on gtk_layout_move(), but it does do
a queue_resize for the widget that's being dragged, causing that to
repaint. So you still get some flicker (but much less than with
gtk_fixed).

You can change your app from gtk_fixed to gtk_layout with just
:1,$s/fixed/layout/g

If anyone knows how to stop layout completely repainting the thing being
moved, I'd love to hear :-)

John
--
John Cupitt, john.cupitt@ng-london.org.uk, +44 (0)20 7747 2570
VASARI Lab, The National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, London, WC2N 5DN