gtk_fixed_move and flicker

I'm using a gtk_fixed widget with a lot of buttons inside that a user
can drag around (eventually, there could be 100-200 buttons, but at
the moment I only have 10).  I'm getting a lot of "flickering" of the
other buttons when I drag one around.  It seems that the solution to
this problem involves the use of a "backing pixmap" or double
buffering.  However, I don't do any drawing myself ... I just invoke
the gtk_fixed_move() function.  I did a little searching through the
source and it looks like the gtk_fixed_move() function inherently
redraws the entire fixed surface when it is called.

So, my question is ... is there a way to override this behavior to
have it use double buffering?  Or should I just abandon the fixed
widget and create my own drawing space?

I suppose another solution would be to limit the number of calls to
gtk_fixed_move() using a timer function.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

* Gary Scavone                                        *
* Center for Computer Research in Music & Acoustics   *
* Stanford University                                 *
* gary@ccrma.stanford.edu                             *
* http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~gary/                *