Help with emitting signals!

Hi I need some help.

I'm trying to update a drawingarea, from a function, and then make the
update visible raising the
signal "expose_event" on that windowarea.

I'm raising a signal with:
            void   gtk_signal_emit_by_name		  (GtkObject	       *object,
 												   const gchar	       *name,
 												  					   ...);

And I'm having a problem, when I use it this way:
    gkt_signal_emit_by_name( drawingarea, "expose_event" );

    It says:
             Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_collect_params(): invalid NULL
pointer for return argument type `gboolean'

    And continues the execution, BUT DOESN'T emit the signal!

    And when I use it this other way:
        gkt_signal_emit_by_name( drawingarea, "expose_event", NULL );
        or
        gkt_signal_emit_by_name( drawingarea, "expose_event", TRUE );

	It says:
           Gdk-Message: ** ERROR **: sigsegv caught

Any hint on what happens? The problem is that I don't know how to use
gtk_signal_emit_by_name properly.
Thanks in advance.
Ssebastià.